Official Monster Raving Loony Party
The Monster Raving Loony Party, now officially the Official Monster Raving Loony Party (OMRLP) and soon to be the Slightly Off Kilter Official Monster Raving Loony Party of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland Not to Mention the Falklands and Ascension Island something something something. Oh right, they're a British political party founded by rocker Screaming Lord Sutch.
Combining the Theater of the Absurd with politics has always been left to the pros, but the OMLRP decided to try to set the example of doing things the right way. Weird costumes and names have been the norm, particularly with their only successful national candidate, Margaret Thatcher. When elected, though, she bolted the party and joined the National Front. Her attempted suicide assisted by the Irish Republican Army finally highlighted her behavior and she was exiled to St. Helena. She is now the love slave of Napoléon Bonaparte's ghost.
Many other similar parties have sprung up since the OMLP was founded. Lord Buckethead, for one, is not an OMLRP member, but then, being from another planet, you wouldn't expect that.
Evil laws that the OMLRP has called for and were passed accidentally include:
- 24 hour drinking in pubs. This was going on anyway but now drinkers could see what they were drinking instead of having the lights turned off.
- No dog licenses. No self-respecting dog would buy one anyway before this.
- Pet passports that allowed animals to avoid quarantine and to fly first class on British Airways. Dog rights became a cornerstone of British politics, but apparently molesting pigs by members of Parliament is still allowed.
- Legalized commercial radio. Listeners grew tired of bland programming and longed for 30 obnoxious commercials an hour, 24/7.
- Voting age lowered to 18. Make your mistakes early, kids!
- End of the 11 Plus exam. This was used to determine who would be exiled to Australia, where dumbheads are now just sent to Scotland.
Meanwhile, the United States has abolished most of the above and is working to overturn the Bill of Rights. Plus it only has Communists and Libertarians to provide a mildly wacky touch to its elections.