Important events of the year included:
- The first Volkswagen Beetle arrives in the US but falls through a sewer grate and is lost.
- Margaret Thatcher is hatched full grown from a vat in Dartford by Saruman's minions. Other Orcs/Oiks gain parliamentary seats but it would take her a couple more years.
- Clothing rationing ends in the UK enabling the working class able to buy new rags.
- NATO is created in order to irritate both US and Russian ultraconservatives.
- George Orwell's novel 1984 is accidentally published 35 years ahead of schedule.
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India is established. Cows can finally be counted definitively.
- The People's Republic of China is founded with its leaders already plotting against each other.
- West and East Germany are established, with friendly gunfire exchanged over sausages and who would get to invade Europe first.
- The Volkswagen Kombi van is released for people who only drive with the wind.
- Chiang Kai-shek bugs out to Taiwan and claims that China just changed its address.
- In an act worthy of Captain Obvious, the Netherlands grants Indonesia sovereignty well after it had taken control of itself.